Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Consistancy..................

...is not my middle name. I should have updated the blog a wizzzile ago....

So far things have been pretty cool. There is another intern with me now living in the guest house...from......drum roll please .....ETHIOPIA!


So...usually I am excited to have a fellow Habesha in the house but...as I have become more and more ERITREAN decided to support my country and plot her demise.


Plan-A

(Arrival ...July 3)

Arch nemesis: Wow I am so glad there is another Ethiopian here

Me: UHHMMMM NO.....I AM ERITREAN! Do we look alike or summin?!?!

Arch nemesis: O_O (dumfounded)

Reality

Arch nemesis: Hey are you Habesha (general term for Ethio or Eritreans)

Me: (Thinking......f********K) Yes. (damn you arch nemesis *fist up in the air*)


All in all she did turn out to be aiight....but dammit I want an arch nemesis >_<


Plan B

· Quote from Eritrean Liberation Speeches daily,

· Pretend its Eritrean Independence day every other day,

· Explain that Ethiopia is really part of Eritrea not the other way around,

· and always start my sentences off with "When I was deported from Ethiopia.."


In other news...I have realized that the blog is lacking in pics...other than Mubarek the camel (above). So i have decided to upload some pics of a partner assessment I was part of a few weeks back in Africa's largest slum ....KIBERA (forget S.E. DC)

*Captions are my own take on things ...reality (as always is secondary with moi) is in parenthesis...






Miles of slums ( Reality: Miles and MILES of slums..bigger population than Eritrea's Capital Asmara)

















Slum mistress scoping out the territory to make sure there are no BLOODs in her area

"I keep a blue flag hanging out my backside, but only on the left side, yeah that's the crip side"

(
Reality: Cute Girl)














"THIS IS A STICK UP FOO!!"-My mugger

(reality: Cute kid 2)
































The Front for the Khat production facility

(Reality: Partner facility, converting human waste into cooking/heating gas. Also serves as a safe sanitation facility for Women and Children in a place where the ratio is about 50-500 people to a latrine)

















Sure she looks like she is boiling water...but its way more sinister...i see U!!!! I SEE U!!!!!! >_< (Reality: Boiling water...supposedly >_<)











Slum KING!!!!!

(Reality: Founder of Bio center NGO...born and raised in Kibera...still keeps it gangsta though)




















The other side....where the White Folk live...

(Reality: Where the White Folk Live)



~*~*

Thats it for now my peeps......i'll update more consistantly next time...fo sho.

-A

4 comments:

  1. That production facility that turns poop into gas looks like a way into a lucrative industry. Corner the sanitation market, then join forces with your dad's water business--yeahh! And we want more pictures of your arch nemesis, coworkers, and refugee peeps from the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude unexpected challanges with the poop. Apparently no one wants to use gas that was your own poop. They only use it for boiling water...and it can be used for so much more..
    -Fertilization (filtered by product)
    -Cooking gas
    -Heating gas

    But no one trusts their own shit (literally). We need a giant poo marketing campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Aman - looks like you're having quite an adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Minia...yep and adventure + learning experience... and some wild nights ;)

    ReplyDelete